Chủ Nhật, 1 tháng 6, 2008

I have completed stripping the hull and the deck. You can see it here.

The next step is to fair the hull and desk using a planer and a sander. Because my strips were not evenly milled (my mistake) . I had a lot of work to do to fill gaps and get everything even before sealing the them with epoxy. When I epoxies, I also put wax paper between the deck and the hull to make sure i didn't epoxy them together. That step will come later.

You can see more of the deck design I put in using a darker cedar and also the recess for the cockpit. I still need to build the deck combing which I am going to do with marine plywood. Once the seal coat dried, I put on the fiberglass and fiberglassed the exterior of the deck and the hull leaving the wax paper in place and leaving it on the forms to dry. Once this was done I removed the deck and pulled the form out of the hull to:
  • fair the interior
  • seal it
  • fiberglass the inside.
Once this was done the deck and the hull are quite strong and stiff on their own.
In this picture you will also notice that I have joined the deck with the hull. This was done by laying a 4 inch tape of fiberglass along the inside and outside of the joint. Before I was able to do this. I had to work the hull and a the deck by planing and sanding some points and devise a clamp to get things matched up because after taking the forms out and fiberglassing the insides parts of the hull and deck did not meet perfectly. Fortunately, I was able to plane and sand those sections down so they matched without a lip. One area near the bow I used a make shift clamp to bend the deck enough to align properly. Once this was done laid the tape on the interior and epoxied it in place. This was very difficult to lay tape along the inside. If I were to do this all over, I would have used a sheer clamp. I found it impossible to get the tape to lay well on the inside. The tape laid very well on the outside once this was try and the hull looks good now. I did have to clean up the the inside by sanding some points where the fiberglass tape bunched up and would create sharp edges on the inside of the hull.

Before fiberglassing I also installed the stem pieces by making a laminate of oak from 1/8" milled pieces (leftover stock I had from a different project) and cutting an end point for the tip of the bow and the stern. This has worked out well and I think looks nice.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét